pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Day 22



The squalls of piercing sun, cols, wind, and unannounced drizzle plagued us all day today, but we laughed it off. We actually ran some ledgy and technical sets today, and I had a ball, as I was in the bow of Mackie’s boay. My traps throbbed from not getting the usual ret of the J between forward strokes – but the bow has its rewards in technical lines of whitewater, of which there were plently today in the low water. Once we got tired we sailed for 10 or so K, dropping through some more class I’s and bouncing over some rocks, laughing all the way in the face of danger, something we seem to be doing a lot of these days. We pulled off on a nice point with less bugs than the usual quota, though still murderous by Southern Ontario standards. We enjoyed a delicious meal with a strange stir fry I dreamt, followed by cinnamon and vanilla pudding for desert. We sat happily, thinking about our last days together on this ancient beast of a river. It’s strange to know, as Bill mentioned, that in 24 hours we’ll be camped only a few k from the town of Attawapiskat, where a plane will be waiting for us on the airstrip. I don’t think we are ready for the culture shock that awaits us, not just at camp, but in the cities for the boys, and for us on our upcoming days off and changeover. I’m laying on my stomach, listening to the occasionally bird, breeze, and distant gurgle of the river. Bill is dozing with his book on his chest, and each in our own way we each are enjoying the tranquility as the late northern sun filters through the white screen walls of our tent. I stare into the silence and contemplate trains, planes, and automobiles. I don’t want to leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home