pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Don't drink and drive, you might get struck by lightning and win the lottery


Alright - I have to say something about this. Two days ago I was watching TV and this is what I saw: A guy sitting, reading on a bench, in sentimental soft focus, tranquil expression on his face. After a few moments a caption says "your best friend". Next a girl walks on to the frame, smiling, looking shyly at her feet. He gets up to greet her, they kiss, frolic, play little 'new couples' games. The caption : "Your girlfriend." At this point the frame is zooming out. . . further, further. We understand where the soft focus effect seemed to be coming from, the whole view is actually through a dirty window pane. zooming, zooming. You see a man, from the back, sitting in a wheelchair with a headrest on it, as if he is paralyzed, watching the scene unfold. Fade to black. "Don't drink and drive, you've got a lot to lose."

Are you fucking kidding me? The ACTUAL consequences of drinking and driving, the ones sort of somewhat on this side of reality (to quote Lewis Black) are bad enough. Do we need to make up consequences? Don't drink and drive, you will discover your girlfriend's promiscuous tendencies. Through the dusty window of your misery you will watch as YOUR life goes on without you, as your girlfriend stabs you in the back, and your best friend in the front. As they choose to make out in front of the window in the hospital ward that they both know you are in. . . hahaha I couldn't stop laughing. The don't drink and drive message was totally lost on me. I turned to my housemate, Will, and I angrily informed him that I was going to drink six beers and go drive, just to prove that that would not happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home