pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wake up and smell the ground beef.


This is the last place you want to go for political rants (or maybe it isn't, but it should be) but what's happening in the states right now is equivalent to millions of people saying they'd rather have access to a filet mignon worth $100, even if all they'll ever have in their pockets is $5, rather than be given a free hamburger. And I just can't keep it to myself anymore.

Now let's not petend, in the words of Joe Biden, this is a "big fuckin' deal". I watched The Hour last night and Strombo busted him saying that in Obama's ear before he announced the bill, which is another reason I love those two right now. Anyway, this is a big deal, and I'm well aware it can only happen in small steps, and I really believe what we're seeing is the first stepping stone in a long road of progress. All that aside, if I could be cynical for a moment, I have to bring up this hilarious example of Danny Williams (is that it, Williams?) the Nefoundland Premier going to the states for his heart operation. Whether or not he could have gotten the care in Canada is neither here nor there. No one would right-mindedly argue that Canada has more surgical skill on the whole than the states. We've all heard of the brain drain. However, from a mathematical standpoint the whole thing is hilarious. You have an example of ONE GUY. You've heard of ONE GUY (there's 33,000,000 of us) ever going to the states for major health care. Not that there aren't more examples, but to hang on one should actually work against your argument shouldn't it? Remember that 33,000,000 - 1 = 29,999,999 Canadians staying in Canada to receive Canadian health care. Why? Because just like the Americans we can't afford American health care. Most of us are cool with that. Anyway, most of the people in charge of this are folks who can afford those high quality surgeons, and the fact that the country doesn't just hold a referendum and ask the actual victims of this setup what they want is silly anyway. . . but I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about that population of folks, and they know they're out there, who can't afford the filet mignon, but are making fun of us Canadians eating our free burgers. You know what? This might just be a burger what I'm eating here, but it will keep me alive a lot longer than that five bucks you have in your pocket, so wake up and smell the burgers, you can't afford that filet mignon anyway.



Seriously, imagine for a moment that the american people were not hippos, and that the politicians were not riding on their backs, and that the filet mignon health care they (the politicians) enjoy was not a carrot on a string being dangled in front of the poor hippos' faces. Imagine that. What would happen with no carrot on the string? The first thing would be the hippo would buck off the senator. The next thing would be for the hippo to add the senator to a long list of hippo related casualties that humans can be so proud of. The final thing would be for the hippo to unfocus those tired near sighted eyes and realise that if he hadn't been focussing on that unattainable carrot for so long he'd have seen the free burgers lying all over the ground around him. Tell me you wouldn't punish a burger if you were starving.

I could've written all that a lot more eloquently, but I didn't care to. Just wanted to get the point across. So stop judging my syntax in your head.

ps It's hard to tell but that school bus is completely stuck.

I'm hungry now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the hippo analogy. I've had similar thoughts myself on the whole health care issue in the states. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't "get" Americans in any meaningful sense.

also, what's lifebook? if it's just a saying, then yes, we are indeed lifebook friends by now.

-willsy

Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 11:01:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Glad I wasn't out to lunch on the whole thing. Life book is Facebook, and we are facebook friends, I just wasn't sure cause I hadn't heard any news from your end in awhile, hence why I left a small note on your wall shortly after. But also, it's just a saying.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 12:20:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh, I miss you.

I was listening to the radio the morning after the bill passed (which is shocking in and off itself because normally I live in a 10ft deep hole impenetrable to current events). But anyway when they said that no Republicans voted yes I mumbled something about rationalism and then giggled to myself thinking about my American Lit prof making references to America as the "city on a hill" (i.e. God's chosen land). Nothing about the good ole U S of A makes any sense at all. I'm so glad they're our neighbours (no sarcasm). Oh, that reminds me, I need to renew my American passport.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 9:09:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Deb, i miss you too. I normally live in a hole like that too, it's more like 5 ft. deep these days, but when stuff like this happens, I can't help but feel somewhat captivated. I love that city on a hill reference, hilarious. Let this be a moment for me to clarify my stance too. I don't hate americans - if I had to hate someone it might be more accurate to say republicans. Even that would be off though. I've got 2 half brothers, a half sister, a niece and like 6 nephews in the states. Yank's from the states, he's one of my best friends. . .I don't have an american passport but I have ties too. I am also glad they're our neighbours. But if anyone thinks for a minute that any of those things will stop me from ripping on the country for cockblocking a bill that's trying to heal the sick, then they're sorely mistaken. Hipocrisy is hilarious, even when it's your neighbours, especially when it's your neighbours.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 9:28:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You know how much I love hypocrisy.
Especially when people are hypocritical about hypocrisy. That's my favourite

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 9:56:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Robertito Orton said...

I think I have health insurance. Never really used it though.

Friday, April 16, 2010 at 4:23:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home