pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I'm. . .back? (Day 1)

IS anyone out there?  Anyone at all?  That is a big gap . . .  although fairly common for me this time of year I guess, still a big gap.  So things have changed as they tend to do in fiv
e months.  I am single again.  I was in a relationship that was litterally shutting my life down one day at a time.  I won't bore you with the details but anger, blame, and lack of freedom are not the kind of dictatorship you want to live under with someone, especially when you're taking heat for a person's dark history.  That's over now, and I was cured of my ailment by a summer on the river. . . the cure for what ails you.  This blog is one of the things that suffered but I'm going to try to keep abreast of it now, especially since a bit of travelling should be in the works for me.  So without further ado, updates on what has been happening.  I went to spring camp after which I promptly left for the Moisie river.  One of the most visually appealing rivers I've ever had the pleasure of paddling  Let the trip log begin here.  I guess for the next little while I'll write in here like it's a diary until someone pokes their head out of the cyberbushes and Fred Penners their way back into my digital life.  Here's hoping!

The Moisie is a river that runs south from Labrador city 426 km through Quebec to the Gulf of the St Lawrence into the


 settlement of Moisie, which is about 30 km up the coast of the Gulf from Sept Iles.  We drove there over 2.5 days and 2 days back.  The river flows through the Laurentians and is known as the Nahanni of the East.  The trip took a total of 26 days.

D1

Stan has eyebrows that arch critically over his staring deep set eyes like Dirty Harry’s.  His walrus moustache completes the look who is the cowboy of his own school bus.  His lanky, capable frame ambles along with a confident poise that says he will, without a doubt, drive you to Labrador in a shaky 

school bus over three days of skittering, rattling fury – regardless of washboard gravel roads 

and frequent three point turns with a loaded canoe trailer.  Stan is a pro, believe that or he’ll kill you.

                Quebec City suburb Lévis is an unusual place to end up touring on an explorer trip, especially at your co-tripper’s house.  Murielle takes us around the lesser known but no less interesting parts of Lévis, showing us a beautiful night scape of sparkling lights against a foreground of twinkling water and a background of Chateau Frontenac.  All night people barely believe us.  We stop in at a local Ashton’s for poutine.  We are dressed like wild people, and when the girl at the counter recites our order of “Dix Poutines Regulaire” into the mic, the girl just behind her freezes in mid counter-wipe and asks “Serieux?”.  One of the other guys remarks that he’s going to frame our 

receipt and hang it on the wall.  No one has ever ordered ten of these  before.

                We step into an ice cream shop/chocolate factory to get some dipped cones.  A former senior girl camper is serving us and doesn’t believe Murielle is working at camp at the moment.  The girl could have been on the other side of the counter had she signed up for camp that year.  Life is just too weird. 

Stan opts not to sleep at Murielle’s house though her parents offer him a room.  Cowboys don’t accept charity.  

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much of a loser am I that I'm the first to comment after like...8 months of no marcus?

um yeah...i'm a loser.

willsy.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 8:48:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and my defense for being the first to pop out of the cyberbushes as you so delicately put it, is that I figured you'd be back in the guelph area around now...or something...

willsy again.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 8:57:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

oh my god willsy. this is awesome. How are you? I am so happy that anyone even reads this. It couldn't get much funnier considering you were the first guy last time this happened. Having said that in a rather mocking tone I will say that I am your biggest fan for giving that much of a shit about what I write. . . who do you think will be next? I say if anyone it'll be bob. Or maybe stu. But probably bobber.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 11:17:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger will said...

I'm good. just actually resurrected my blog a couple of hours after you did. mine has to do with school. yes, i'm back in school. college this time for journalism.

I'm gonna say that bobber is the second person to reply as that poor guy is probably pretty lonely in windsor.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 11:22:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just for the record, you're both wrong.

two questions. why have you not referenced fred penner BEFORE because he's awesome, and where are you heading next?

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 10:41:00 AM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. love mack.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering when you would come back. this makes me doubly sad that you lost your log from last summer. but regardless, welcome back.

-deb

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 1:54:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Ahaha - Hi Mack. . . I don't know yet where I'm off to next, but there are a few options in the works. As soon as I have a vague plan I'll let you know. Deb I am sad also that I lost my log, I still think about it all the time. Thanks for the advice on the OZ places to work. If ANYONE has any cool ideas/suggestions about employment/volunteer opportunities in the southern hemisphere in the coming months, or the northern when it gets warm up here again drop me aline, I'm all ears.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 2:43:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Stu said...

I haven't checked your blog since April when I read that you were coming to camp and it didn't occur to me to check it again until I got my computer set up a couple days ago. Good to see it back.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 11:50:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

yyyeeeeahhh it's stu. . . Hi stu. Hey Stu when is homecoming and are you going?

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 1:12:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Stu said...

No idea but very likely. As long as I'm not busy.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 1:44:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Oh quit being such a hate matrix.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home