pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Severed Heads


A little background here first. This is an excerpt from my summer 2006 trip log. A looper is a 3 day trip led by my camp around the lakes in our immediate vicinity. 2 nights out, 3 days. Usually the kids are around 8-9 that go on this trip. Mike was my co-tripper on this trip. Usually counsellors go on trip with trippers, unless it's a 25 day trip, but this is how the schedule worked out, 2 trippers. That means LOTS of safety, but very tactless handling of kids. Usually we have counsellors to do that, and since most trippers have been counsellors for awhile, we like to take a break from the soft skills side of things and focus on getting shit done. . . well Mike got this done.

Looper B2

Mike and I are leading a looper. We are at the rope swing site, and I just saw one of the worst “foot in mouth” cases ever. One of our attention seekers, Theo, suddenly mused out loud during dessert, interrupting the conversation,
“I wonder how my house is doing. . .” We both looked at Theo, and he continued,
“A car ran into it.” With kind of a smirk on his face to match Theo’s, Mike began to laugh out loud. Mike was in a jovial mood and we’d been appreciating the randomness of the kids’ comments all trip. Theo looked at Mike incredulously. “What, you don’t believe me?”
Mike looked back and asked, jokingly,
“What, did somebody die?”
Theo immediately lapsed into tears. It was all Mike could do to console him. “Oh Jesus Theo, I’m sorry.” Mike looked at me with panicked eyes as he patted the sobbing little Theo’s back, as it heaved with his crying. “Who died Theo?” Mike asked between Theo’s sobs. “Who died Theo?”. Between his sobs also, Theo answered, mouth full of tears,
“I saw the guy’s head fly off!”
Mike apologized profusely, and when the sobs subsided Theo told the story. It was 9:00 on a Sunday morning. The house was shaken by a noise. Theo’s brother looked out the window and saw a car in the front yard. His brother called his parents, and in so doing woke Theo. He ran down to see what happened. Through the window he saw a wrecked car, a partly smashed deck, and laying on the deck, the boy saw the severed head of the 34 year old driver who passed out at the wheel of a car he shouldn’t have been driving due to a heart condition. Horrifying. Theo continued the story lucidly and with little emotion, citing that the bright side of the story was that they would get a nice addition and a brand new deck for their house. It didn’t seem like Theo was all that broken up about it in the end, but man did he get Mike good. He seemed pretty proud of the fact that “the story was in the paper and everything”. I felt like I was watching the most awkward movie scene ever.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would've died laughing at this Mike character. like, milk out the nose crying.

willsy

Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 11:25:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Dude - I thought I was going to burst out at a very inappropriate moment. I looked away across the lake, my face contorted painfully holding it in. It probably looked like I was trying not to cry to anyone who might have seen it, but much the opposite. You should have heard our conversation in the tent after. Also we played a little game later, like the penis game, called 'Severed Heads' where Mike and I would say "Severedheads!" as fast as we could in the middle of our dialogue without the kids noticing. :D

Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 11:44:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear that conversation as though I were there when it happened. Of course that happened to Mike. Who else? That's just the way the cosmos are arranged for him.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:51:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

How true Stu, how true. Was that an Alchemist reference? Cause that is s strange coincidence that you would say that. . . of course, according to the alchemist there are no coincidences.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 9:26:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger The Darcys said...

you don't do enough dick jokes. do a dick joke.
k, peace.
w

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 10:10:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally off topic, but if you're reading this graeme, there's no need to lie, i worry about you either way man. hope you're feeling better.

mack

Friday, November 24, 2006 at 7:33:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger graeme said...

T-Mac! Why the hell aren't we best friends? So supportive. Yeah man I'm feeling better, thanks. Willsy don't see you at the gym anymore, you change your schedule? How can I develop my friend crush further if I never see you?

Friday, November 24, 2006 at 9:04:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's killing me too graeme. this job at market fresh (MF from now on) is making me go at some very strange times. but I do get to work out with all the joice pig football players...so there that is.

willsy.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 3:52:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's right, joice pig.

w.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 3:52:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read the Alchemist.

Monday, November 27, 2006 at 2:16:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

well maybe it is your destiny to do so

Monday, November 27, 2006 at 6:11:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home