pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Who is Yank?: Character Profile
















Well if you read back enough months (sometime shortly after the start of this blog) there is a "Who is Bob?" Entry? In that entry, if memory serves, I elucidated the nature of our multi-Bob system. Which involves two Robs calling each other by the same nickname, thereby nullifying their attempt to clarify who's who. Well the other Bob is Rob, Rob Orton, also known as Yank. I will start from the begnning:

When I was in high school my friend Chris James (a guy I worked with in a computer retail store in the mall, whole different blog entry) asked me if I wanted to be roommates should we both be accepted to the University of Guelph. I politely declined telling him how I cherished his friendship and how I thought we shouldn't risk fucking that up, which I knew could happen easily in a year of living together. He conceded. We did, however get our first choice of residence. We both spent one of the funnest years of our lives in Johnston hall, south wing, third floor. Chris James was my neighbour. When I opened my door, I say his room. I was 319, I guess he was 320. One night at Compucentre Chris was all like: "Yo, my room mate is from Maine eh? Some American dude."









"Sweet." I replied.









Fast forward, summer has ended. Chris James moves in, I move in, Rob Orton from Dover-Foxcroft Maine moves in (and while we're on the subject, Lil' Jeff, my roommate moves in) He was Lil' Jeff cause we had 3 Jeffs, all of very distinct sizes, so you guessed it: Lil' Jeff, Big Jeff, Medium Jeff. The names stuck. We still call them Big, Lil' And Medium for short when we see them. I love that there's a guy I call Medium.


A mosquito just flew by my field of vision. . . WTF it's NOV 26. Or is it? (Refer to last blog entry)

Anyway, there are lots of people from our floor with nicknames, I would say a majority go by a name other than their own. Rob was from the states, so we called him the Yankee, then just shortened it to Yank. He liked it, it grew and it stuck.

So Rob Orton and I hit it off.

We hit it off to the point that after going our separate ways in second year we decided in third and fourth to be housemates. Oh the stories.
The topics are endless. . .

First Year:

-Chris James gets his first girlfriend. Poor form: She's from our floor, AND he constantly locks Yank out of his own room so he can make out with her in there

-Yank's meal card money runs so low he goes on a Rice and Tang diet, which consists of eating rice and drinking tang. After a week or so of this malnutrition rears its ugly head and he changes his ways (Rob, elaborate on this, did you finally ask your parents for money?)

- Rob's foot odour gets to the point tha the decides to febreeze his feet. I was just waiting for the silhouettes of his feet to be burned into the carpet outside his door, just stencilled in from the concentration of the stuff like the shadow of an A-Bomb victim.

Second Year:
-Rob lives with the Trinis - the two guys on our floor from Trinidad, Brendan and Kyle, who we genuinely refer to as Trini
This is the only story you need to hear, it's self explanatory

Third Year:
-Youden (our third housemate, in trusty townhouse #2) Moves in, all hell breaks loose

Youden's ADD and destructive nature combine to make him smash bottles against a wall, set his stomach on fire with lighter fluid, fire spudguns inside the house, shoot paintballs inside the house out of slingshots, drink heavily and ride off really high things on his mountain bike, a pursuit we joined him in.

-We ski off the jumps in front of lambton - this in combination with our biking habits forms a small unit we like to call urban extremes I took some pictures then left it by the wayside, but the pics were cool

-I go to Maine for Reading Week for a ski vacation with Yank, his parents are awesome, I meet his friends and see where he grew up. This is where I conceive the idea of a book I will one day write entitled "Against All Odds, the Rob Orton Story"
-Spring I go back to Maine to work for an old dentist named Hap Garrish, who just wants to pay us for something, so we paint his whole compound by the lake a nice forest green, tear down some buildings, help build some new ones and do some hiking while we're down there

Fourth Year:
- Yank and I live with our RA, who smokes more weed than both of us combined (not too hard since we both hover around the zero mark on this)
- We meet Timmy our Vietnamese housemate as I always refer to him, though he's not really from there - he is the prototype of the modern timmy which we have grown to love

The two summers before this Yank worked at the camp I have been going to since i was 11. We had totally different jobs, but both had the time of our lives there. One summer Yank and I were both on senior boys staff, which was awesome, and got a taste of whitewater canoeing, which he loved, and the next summer I was a tripper, but there was still a day off or two in there. . .


- The following summer Yank leaves for 2 years. He has decided to serve the Peace Corps and make a change in his life. Rob is assigned to Costa Rica, where he is now, afte a year and a bit of service. This is the Yank/Rob that sometimes comments on this blog, and recently complained of 'being replaced' which I assured him was not possible.



Yank lives fast and hard, Yank lives on the edge, Yank speaks more spanish these days than he does English. Yank has been knocked out, robbed and cheated in Costa Rica, all on separate days. I miss Yank - and this is a small tribute to his former presence. Yank will be back soon I hope, he's been saving up a lot of vacation days and has been planning somewhat of a trip to Canada in the future with them so that would be pretty cool.




Rob was a Witch for Halloween one year. Rob loved it, and so did the rest of us.
Rob Loves Baseball, Pretty Girls, well hell, why rewrite this list when I can steal it from another website:
Rob Orton
Things I enjoy:
tropical fruit that isn't papaya
cold weather when it's supposed to be hot or hot weather when it's supposed to be cold
reading books that noone else has heard of
a good puke
feeling foreign
horoscopes
posters with inspirational quotes
baseball
riding on the bus when i am hungover


So yeah, I think I've said my piece - Rob, I miss you, you're irreplaceable, come home soon after you show those Ticos how the Yank does it. . .before this sounds like a eulogy I am going to sign off.
Peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

That was Beautiful
im speachless..
Bob Davies

Monday, November 27, 2006 at 1:08:00 AM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bob is not nearly as speechless as this bob. well, i´ve never REALLY been speechless which sometimes gets me in trouble. i want to thank you for the beautiful tribute. its been a hell of a run we´ve had and hopefully its just beginning. my parents did lend me money for food that time, hap actually just died a few months back and in his obit, it turns out he played in the boston symphony orchestra, although it must´ve been hard to play as he giggled constantly. i was telling a friend here the other day that i´ve been searching for something my entire life, although i´m not quite sure as to what it is (could actually be black velvets cause those are really good) but i haven´t found it here in costa rica so i´m gonna head somewhere else to take a look soon. maybe you´ll come along. anyway, once again, thanks. and you are irreplaceable also.

yank.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 11:50:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Yank - thank you, and I will not say too much for fear of ruining this moment which transcends time and space. "Words are very unecessary, they can only do harm"
-Depeche Mode

It is sad to hear that Hap has passed. He can only be described as a sweet old man. I like to think he passed peacefully, a man like that must've. He had money, he had a huge family and he threw big ass parties with one for the other. Always smiling, always giggling. A fulfilling life.
What instrument did he play?

Black velvets are delicious, and we will visit a remote corner of the world together.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 12:43:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wasn't even hungover and i puked on the bus yesterday. i need a dose of maine.

-yank

Friday, December 1, 2006 at 11:53:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

haha when are you going back dude?

Sunday, December 3, 2006 at 2:52:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am arriving in maine dec. 10. then colorado for a few days to snowboard and visit benny, then back to costa rica on jan. 3.


yank

Thursday, December 7, 2006 at 12:39:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home