pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Dull minds lead to bright moments.


Ahhh, Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass: you are great. You remind me that life is to be enjoyed, and never, under any circumstances, taken too seriously.

Funny things happen every day:

2 nights ago alaina asked me to go on the local brewerey tour. I didn't think it was a good idea for me, since I had pictures of dots to take the next day, and the only thing worse than a microscope headache is a microscope headache compounded by a hangover. Alaina played the "fine no tour then" card, and I reminded her there were other people on the planet that might be willing to get drunk for $10 on a Friday night. . . I suggested Bob. She conceded that Bob might be a good option. Alaina proceeded to msg Rob on her msn list. She asked him to go to the tour, and he said he had a midterm the next day. Then she said fine, but you're going to the Albion tomorrow, and he said "not bloody likely". She eventually found someone to go with. The next day Alaina was msging Bob. She told him again that he was going to the Albion with her that night. He said "not bloody likely" and her reply was "that's what you said yesterday". Bob sounded confused by this. Then when she asked how his midterm was he got really confused. By and by Bob suggested that perhaps he is not the 'Rob' she was talking to on msn the night before. We have yet to figure out which Rob it was, why he gave the same "not bloody likely" answer as the genuine bob, and just how akward it would have been had this 'bizzaro Rob" shown up for the brewery tour.

The day before that I watched a high speed chase on tv. It was not high speed, nor was it a chase. Will and I turned on the tv and saw a Sherrif's SUV, from an OJ style chase angle zipping around the suburbs, 40 miles outside the LA city limits. I asked rhetorically "Who are they chasing?". Moments later that turn it to "B- What the-.. . " Which became "Oh my god, that IS who they';re chasing." The SUV was a stolen vehicle. The LAPD have the strictest chase laws in the country. The laws state that unless human life is in immediate danger, they will not pursue a vehicle. This is designed to take pressure off of the assailant, so that he or she may drive less wrecklessly, and so the public might stay calmer. For two hours they allowed this woman to drive around and around. I went to get alaina so she could watch too - she doesn't get CNN at her house. Naturally the chase came to its end the moment I walked out the door. No problem, the replays told all. Finally an off duty officer who was waiting on a side street she had frequented leapt out of his car, pistol pointed, and she immediately stopped. 2 bikes and 2 cruisers immediately pulled up in pursuit. They had been trying to talk her out of all this on the police radio she was listening to, to no avail. She drove until a tire came off the back of the vehicle, and then she drove some more. Will and I watched in disbelief as the tire gently removed itself from the vehicle as she sped along the free way. It rolled casually away as though it had simply decided of its own accord not to be part of the chase anymore. Like a booster falling away from a rocket, the tire seemed to say "my work here is done" The woman skidded around on a metal rim for the next 35 minutes. Why did all this happen? Well you see, the woman was under investigation for possible auto theft and was very nervous about getting arrested. So she did what any logically thinking, rational, red blooded north american would have done. She jumped in the Sherrif's SUV and drove away. I guess the solution to suspicion of car theft is to steal one in front of the cops and remove all doubt. And why not hit two birds with one stone while you're at it - get arrested too!


Yesterday I went to Bob's for dinner. We made ourselves some delicious steaks. Bob was playing around with some matches, and jokingly struck one on his cast. I think the brightest thing in that room at the moment was Bob's face. It was more luminous than the match which he still held burning in his hand. The match flared as he ecstatically exclaimed "It worked! It worked!" I would've thought bob invented the light bulb and finally got it to work after thousands of trials. Bob's Edisonian excitement stemmed from the fact that after wallowing in self-pity about having a cast for the last 4-6 weeks finally ebbed - he had found a use for his cast. One good reason to wear it - You could strike strike-anywheres on it. Simply stunning. I thought he was going to set his house on fire.

Last night we had some drinks. I tried my Venezuelan Rum and Gin - they were delicious. A bottle of dad's home brew and then a glass of some extremely gross grape crushy Baby Duck, and I was in the bag. Sitting back watching Doom at the end of the night may have given me the infernal hangover I suffer from now, more so than the Baby Duck, but either way Herb Alpert encompasses my life right now. A string of rediculous incidents to be laughed at, including but not limited to one's own situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home