pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Brown Spots on the Wall, by Hu Flung Pu - D7



D7

                The shit hits the fan and splatters against the wall like 80’s abstract art.  Remember spiropaint?  Luke absentmindedly takes off his PFD on a break from the wind and hell while we rest in a bay.  It blows off the stern deck of the boat as he’s not looking, and by the time he tells us it could be (and probably is) miles away.  The trip hunkers down in a mossy wood while Luke and I search a 10 k perimeter of this godforsaken lake for a floating PFD.  After 3 hours of dodging the wrath of God (biblical rain squalls), we are exhausted and roll into the mossy wood.  Murielle has called camp and they said to call back at 6:30.  They may have to send in a float plane – for a fucking lifejacket.  We watch idly as a water plane circles the lake.  We hope it lands 

so we can ask the pilot a favour.  Free PFD?  Lab city is close.  We call camp at 6:30 and are angrily told that our plane has come and gone.  That was us, we missed it.  Thanks for telling us guys.  We schedule another for the next morning, and this time we’ll flag it down instead of letting it fly away.  We paddle 2 k to an Innu cabin.  The stove heats the room to sauna temperatures as we cook on it.  Murielle makes a tofu stir fry while I drift off, exhausted , to the sounds of Luke’s classical guitar picking and a feeling of unfamiliar and welcome humidity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brittoon said...

Marcus, I emailed you at batyark!
Love reading the posts, sounds like it's been a great summer. B.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 8:33:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uggh. That was alot of catching up to do on your blog while trying not to get caught doing it. I´m working on the books for August right now. All the receipts from this dump have to be recorded in the computer, then a report needs to be written about what we spent money on. My boss is pretty sure that I spend all day looking at baseball statistics and rubbing my side pipe. Remember when we´d come up with what our parents were going to do to us when we got caught with shitty grades? Youden would say ´My dad is going to hit me with a belt when I get my marks.´ I´d answer, ¨Bill is going to slam my fingers in his underwear drawer when he finds out I got a 55 in Spanish¨. My boss is going to stick my tongue to the rim of the deep freezer when she finds out I´m listening to sports talk radio instead of doing the accounting. Thanks buddy. Glad to have you back.


Yank.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 2:03:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Oh my sweet lord yank. It's like you get funnier every time you write something. Yeah I remember those days. I think it might have stemmed from Dane Cook's Kool-Aid man skit. "Oh yeah coming through the wall is real cool! You know what's cool? Coming through the fuckin front door is cool! You better fix this right now. My dad's gonna beat me with a belt when he gets home and sees this, he's not gonna believe a talking bowl of punch came in here!." Ahahhah so good. . . you glass bitch, you glaaaasss bastard. Also the part about rubbing your sidepipe killed me laughing.
I need to get off the internet now, my dad's going to put my ear in a hot vice when he finds out I'm blocking the phone line.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 9:32:00 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home