pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Some days you're the antibody, some days you're the antigen - D14

Just floating on through. . . Think I might be heading back up to camp next week for yet another looper.  There's no way this one's going to be desert oasis weather like the last one was.  The children are going to freeze.  I will no freeze though, because I did that once five years ago and I bought a lot of cold weather paddling gear since then.  It's amazing what loosing the function of your legs will do to you, even if it's on a three day trip around the muskoka area.  I figured if that happens down there, what's going to happen on a cold day on the 53rd paralell?  Yikes. . .   Want to know something funny?  I'm gazing out my window right now looking at this plant my parents planted.  That's not the funny thing, bear with me.  So years back my parents were hiking point pelee or somewhere down there.  There's a transition zone there to some carolinian type forest that doesn't really exist in many other places except maybe the carolinas.  They found a beautiful vine with blood red leaves (in the fall) that was clambering up a tree, and they thought 'let's take that with us'.  So they found a small one and dug it up.  They planted it at the base of the aerial ladder next to our house.  My parents don't like the look of fences and ladders and other unsightly latticeworks, so they have a habit of planting climbing plants at their bases to consume and aesthetically improve them.  Now, years later, we have this vine that just climbs the side of the house, obscuring the ladder.   Right now it's a beautiful shade of yellowpinkred.  You know what I mean.  It's funny because my mom broke out in some sort of rash this last year, around the neck area.  For the last decade or so my dad has also been getting some kind of strong reaction that only the strongest prednisone pills can kill.  It comes at roughly the same time of year each year, but no one knew what it was.  My mom went to the doctor with her neck rash this year and the GP told her without much tentativeness that it was poison ivy.  My mom had never had this before.  After weeks of sleuthing and drawing up mental timelines in a CSI type fashion, the boring and double-backing, step-retracing, concept-repeating details of which I won't bore you with, they came to a conclusion.  The carolinian forest posesses a special type of poison ivy, which grows in the form of a vine.  It turns a beautiful blood red in the fall, like most poison ivy.  I'm telling you though, this thing is mammoth . . I'm going to take a shot of it right now, remember I'm on the second story and this thing goes up to the damned roof.  Anyway I didn't know this, even though I wade through the stuff all summer, it's never the viney kind. . . and though I wade through it I try not to actually touch it, so I guess I wade around it.  Here's hoping I don't get it.  My mom is so paranoid now she tells me to keep my window closed, as if the vapors might kill me in my sleep.  I think she thinks I can catch it by looking at it.  They're going to spray round up on the bastard after the leaves drop this fall. . .  bye big poisonous vine.

Classic parents move eh?

So in the Moisie log you may notice the mountains starting to crop up.  this is where things got out of hand, scenery wise.  I wish I wasn't so damned tired at the end of every day or I'd've written more.

D14

                So today is two days in one.  We hit last chance eddies and ran chutes the width of our boats between boulders the size of toolsheds.  We carry loaded and unloaded boats over bog and granite, and we power out 13 k in an hour 15 more into moonlight to make it to Berny’s cabin.  Rapids in the dark.  Spiritual moment describes the feeling of these silent granite sentinels looming against the night sky, guarding the widening of the river Berny’s is nestled in.  We walk in, 

starved, cold and tired, but are not disappointed.  We will pit here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i lost my shit when i read the title of this one. i'm too much of a bio geek. my dad has had a similar experience with a sumac that he didn't know was poisonous.
by the way, amazing looking scenery on this trip dude.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 12:08:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i keep forgetting to sign my comments.
love
mack

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 12:08:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malark, you are one tough bastard to get a hold of.
Great story though half way through I knew what was commin. Did I ever tell you the story of my teacher in St Kits who just finishes telling the class he is very reactive to the PIV and then reaches out and grabs this vine to ID it.. the entire class just gasps but no one dare says a word. Slowly through the rest of the day people filter in and break the news. I got to him just after the washroom. He looks at me and says " yeah Im a little concerned" comes back after t giving with PIV on his face and his arm was pussin through his shirt. Asks the class if they enjoyed the field trip I could only smile and say YES.
Cheers
Bob

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Ahhh Mac, so nice to see you reading ths. That's fucking funny about your dad man. Something funny about adults getting screwed by nonlethal poisonous plants. . . thanks for the comment, also the pictures are going to get better soon, the mountains get bigger.

bob, I cried a little bit when I read that. Also PIV makes it seem like an STD and that makes it even funnier. "Yeah I'm a little concerned" Holy shit that's gold. Also, I sent you anothertext message. I'm confifent we can resolve this phone tag in the next 2 days or so. . .

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 1:45:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Also, i left out the hilarious details about why my parents both broke out with it. my mom carried a heap of it to the edge of our property after pruning it to make it look nice. the leaves were brushing against her neck. My dad broke out so horrendously because every year around the same time he finds a reason to climb THROUGH the fucking thing, up the ladder, to get to the roof. Probably to adjust the satellite dish. thing is it can take up to two weeks to react, so you'd never know where you got it. Unless you were some very suspicious retired emtpy-nesters.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 1:51:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Malark,
Bob here, I am not recieving any text messages from you. We really need to sort this out Hope the tob was good man, I am sure the fall colours are out like crazy.
Cheers

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 6:48:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home