pictures - nonsense - confusion. proud to be part of it all since 1981.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

D18

Sent an application into a glacier guiding company on the Franz Josef glacier in NZ yesterday.  The interviews are on the 19th and I sort of dawdled sending it in, so again, not holding my breath.  Soon it will be time to just book a ticket and gun it out of here regardless!

it whether or not I find something heh?

D18

                The cliffs still surprise the hell out of me every time I look at them.  They tower over 

1000 ft above our heads.  Sections of the Moisie are surprisingly continuous, rapids for 2 km or 

more, considering the rough granite they flow over.  The river bed itself here is sand and cobblestone to make this possible.  We paddle through some big freakin waves today, that 

threaten to  swamp boats if mishandled.  I smell barbecue starter on the air.  It’s unmistakeable, and one kilometre later we paddle through a nice hunting/fishing camp with numbered eddies and humans.  The transition from no people for 2 weeks to people every day is weird.  As we pass someone yells to us “where are you from!?”.  As we answer Kandalore she yells “Hey i know 

you guys!” and waves her arms, running down the beach.  It’s Liette and we talk of how her compound upstream is doing.  She mentions the garden and I tell her we took some rhubarb.  

She mentions she had some other plants and searches for the words in English.  I fill in “chives” and she concedes.  I let her know I took some of those too, stretching to lean forward to hide with my body the entire tuft of her chives I dug up with a spade from her front yard that morning.  I wanted to hold up the poly bottle when she wondered about if they had enough water and say “yep, been watering them all day!”, holding aloft the silly grassy tuft, purple flowers and all – but I didn’t have the nerve.  On the way to the campsite we see a cow (moose) with two bumbling calves in tow.  Real cute.  Also Sam confides that if he ever buys a boat he’s going to get spinners on it.  When I ask why you would ever do that he replies by spinning fake wheels like he’s going backwards in a wheelchair and says only “yeahhhh suckaaaaa”.    Vegetable Biryani kicks ass.  

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I climbed FRanz Joseph. It was awesome. No where to go to the bathroom though. Which should be self explanatory really, but well, I have a small bladder. Franz Joseph is tiny though, but you'll have fun!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 8:22:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Stu said...

Yeaaaahhhhhh suckaaaaaaa!!!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 10:45:00 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can insert this comment into every post: killer pictures man.

mack

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 8:54:00 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Thanks Mack

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:40:00 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Marcus said...

Thanks for that tidbit. clearly we need to talk more about this Deb. . . I still need to reply to that last email.

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:40:00 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home